Pages

Sunday, January 26, 2014

An Introduction

When women with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) get pregnant, their RA goes into remission. At least that’s what my doctor told my husband and me when we went in to discuss the possibility of having a baby. At that time we were both professors with busy careers. I was 28, and according to my doctors, my RA was on “cruise control”. Thus, we were given a big “thumbs up” from the medical community to get pregnant. I would not trade our son for the world, but boy were they wrong!

Fast forward three years later and although I am slowly getting better, I am living with RA and 27% kidney function – a vast improvement from where I started.  So while every new mom does not have the exact chronic illness/illnesses that I have, I am hopeful that every new mom living with a chronic illness can take something from this blog to make their life with their new baby a little less frustrating and more enjoyable.  I now know what going from 100 to 0 and working back up slowly actually feels like.  A roller coaster?  Yes, but taking one day at a time, family support, and some tips from someone who has always insisted on learning the hard way just might make your ride a bit smoother so kick back and work with me on loving living.

No comments:

Post a Comment