Pages

Monday, May 19, 2014

Jar Frustration


I hate asking for help and jars are always a frustration for me. I have searched multiple strategies for opening jars by myself and always use asking for help as a last resort. Here are some of the strategies that I think are most useful. Sometimes it takes a combination of these strategies but I usually have success.

  • Under the cabinet jar opener – see my list of helpful products
  • Hot water – running hot water around the rim of the jar will help loosen the seal
  • Butter knife – take a butter knife and slip it between the lid and the jar then twist. Follow this procedure in 3-4 places around the lid. It usually breaks the seal for easy opening. You may also use a bottle opener for this technique.
  • Tapping – tap the lid of the jar on the counter while rotating the lid so that you tap it all the way around.
  • Rubber gloves – this will give you a better grip
  • Silicone pot holders – this is also a way to get a stronger grip


This example of having a set of strategies to try in frustrating situations can be easily applied to lots of areas in life. For parents with chronic illness, everyday obstacles such as opening jars with arthritic hands can be negated by having a plan of attack. Personally, being able to conquer lots of these small things helps make me feel more “normal” and certainly independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment